Tom James and Christine Smith were the speakers at August 3rds meeting of the Club – the photograph shows them with President Peter. They shared with members information about dementia and Alzheimers and explained various misconceptions. There are many types of dementia – in the region of 100 – although the most common form is Alzheimers. All types of dementia are progressive – the symptoms will get worse over time.
Five things everyone should know about dementia:
- its not a natural part of the ageing process.
- its caused by diseases of the brain. The most common of these is Alzheimers.
- its not just about loing your memory – it can effect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks.
- its possible to live well with dementia.
- there’s more to a person than the dementia.